Unit History: Admiralty Chemical Department
In 1870 the first Admiralty Chemist was appointed and the Admiralty Chemical Department created.
The department was developed and based at Portsmouth.
The department dealt mainly with the testing and trials of lubricants, metals and paints for Admiralty use.
In 1965 it was amalgamated with the Central Metallurgical Laboratory to form the Central Dockyard Laboratory.
Search for a name in our archive