Unit History: Admiralty Experimental Station Welwyn
The Admiralty Experimental Station ( AES ) based at Welwyn, also sometimes referred to as Station IX. Was established to develop propulsion systems using Hydrogen Peroxide.
Its location was close to the chemical plants of ICI and Laporte Chemicals, in Hertfordshire.
Both plants were involved in the AES’s work. The department was closed down in 1950 when it was amalgamated with Superintendent, Torpedo Experiment and Design (STED).
Search for a name in our archive