Unit History: Admiralty Research Laboratory Teddington
During the First World War, Admiralty established experimental research stations at Hawkcraig and Parkeston Quay, Harwich with stations at Dartmouth and Wemyss Bay, to work on submarine detection methods.
Further to this stations a further experimental station was opened in Shandon, Dumbartonshire.
These stations were subsequently moved to Teddington in 1921 to form the Admiralty Research Laboratory ( ARL ).
The departments main field was expanded in oceanography, electromagnetics, underwater ballistics ( With the absorbing of Admiralty Hydro Ballistic Research Establishment), visual aids, acoustics, infra-red radiation, photography and assesment techniques.
it was finally closed at Teddington in 1985.