Unit History: Royal William Victualling Yard

Royal William Victualling Yard
The Royal William Victualling Yard, in Stonehouse, a suburb of Plymouth, England, was the major victualling depot of the Royal Navy and an important adjunct of Devonport Dockyard. It was designed by the architect Sir John Rennie and was named for King William IV. It was built between 1826 and 1835, and occupies a site of approximately 16 acres. The Yard was closed in 1992 and subsequently passed into private hands. Grade 1 listed, it is now undergoing on-going conversion to an up-market mixed use development.
Early conservation and restoration work was carried out by Gilmore Hankey Kirke Architects. Together with Acanthus Ferguson Mann Architects they were awarded by the RIBA in the South West region for the Clarence and Brewhouse buildings. The scheme is also a winner of a RIBA 2006 Conservation Awards, which recognise best practice in the field of building conservation. Continued restoration, conservation and modernisation of these Georgian Buildings is being carried out by Urban Splash.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait