Unit History: Royal Clarence Victualling Yard
In the 18th century, the fleet was provisioned from scattered facilities in the town of Portsmouth and from the Weevil Yard in Gosport, which had a cooperage and a brewery. From 1828 to 1832, the Weevil Yard was expanded and renamed the Royal Clarence Victualling Yard after the Duke of Clarence. The yard was damaged during World War II and is now being developed.
To the right of the Royal Clarence Victualling Yard and the bridge is Priddy’s Hard. It was designed in 1773 to have gunpowder magazines and a powder distribution area. Ships’ boats would enter a basin and be loaded with gunpowder to take back to the ships.
Search for a name in our archive