Unit History: RN Air Station Sydenham
RNAS Sydenham (HMS Gadwall), also called RNAS Belfast, Sydenham, Belfast, Northern Ireland (1933-1978 current civil airport, Belfast Airport)
Operational as RAF Belfast 1941, when FAA had lodger facilities under books of HMS Caroline. Joined by USAAF 1943 to 1944. Transferred to Admiralty and commissioned late 1943 as HMS Gadwell. Used by FAA for disembarking squadrons, and housed RN Aircraft Maintenance Yard. Was responsible for shipping aircraft overseas, and had a berth alongside for escort carriers. Reverted to RAF in 1973.