Unit History: Gurkha Engineers
In October 1948, 67 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was formed at Kluang in Malaya. 68 Field Squadron Royal Engineers was raised at Kluang in April 1950. Later in the same year both Squadrons moved to Hong Kong. The Regimental Headquarters of 50 Field Engineer Regiment Royal Engineers was formed in Hong Kong in June 1951. The Regiment moved to Malaya as the 17th Gurkha Divisional Engineers to support operations then in progress during the Malayan Emergency. The Regiment was based at Sungei Besi near Kuala Lumpur from 1955 - 1961. The Regiment became part of the Brigade of Gurkhas in September 1955, and by Royal Warrant, on 28 September 1955, its designation was changed to "The Gurkha Engineers" and its own cap badge and insignia were adopted.
The Gurkha Engineers were heavily committed to Borneo from the Brunei revolt in December 1962 until the end of the Confrontation in August 1966.
In 1977, the Royal title of The Queen’s Gurkha Engineers was granted by Her Majesty The Queen.
Search for a name in our archive