During the early part of the Second World War Sealand was used for flying training to try and make up for the shortfall in pilots. Tiger Moths, Lysanders, Leopard Moths, Dragons and Dominies were a regular sight on the grass runways.
No.30 MU (Maintenance Unit) were required to work on Mosqiuto’s, Wellington’s and Lancaster’s these larger aircraft types demanded a concrete runway.
At the end of the war Sealand remained the home of the Packing Unit, but the amount of work rapidly reduced. Burtonwood was rapidly expanding after the Americans returned in 1948 and needed more space. RAF Sealand fitted the bill nicely.
RAF Sealand’s association with the US Air Force began on February 2nd 1951, when the 30th Air Depot Wing arrived at Burtonwood. The 30th was under the command of Lt. Col. Howard Kelly.
Col. Carl Feldmann, Deputy Chief of Staff 59th ADW was named as Commanding Officer of the 30th in February 1951 and transferred to Sealand in the March of 1951.
On March 15th 1951, the USAF officially accepted RAF Sealand as the home of the 30th Air Depot Wing.