The airfield became operational on 28th April 1941 when a single squadron - No. 66 flying Spitfires moved in. Initially just one runway (24/06) was operational with a large tent for airmen to shelter from the elements.
As D-Day approached the airfield was transferred to 19 Group Coastal Command, and two squadrons of Avengers - 849 and 850 arrived in April with 816 flying Swordfish. They departed in August 44. The airfield was put on a care and maintenance footing in September, but in November was taken back by RAF for Staging Post personnel. As the allied armies moved deeper into France these personnel moved on to forward airfields. On May 1st 1945 Perranporth went back to care and maintenance.