Greenock air station owed its beginnings to the pre-war licensed seaplane base. A flying boat maintainance base was esteblished officially at Greenock on October 10 1940. The station suffered from lack of accommodation for personnel and there was considerable local opposition to the requisitioning of billets. An ex-servicemens’ club and Greenock Social Club were taken over and it was not until September 1942 that a hutted camp was completed at Darroch Park. The last aircraft left Greenock during July 1945 and a few weeks later the base reverted to Care and Maintainance Command.