Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:




On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: Queen's Own Hussars

Queen's Own Hussars
The Queen’s Own Hussars was formed at Candahar Barracks, Tidworth, Hampshire, on the 3rd of November 1958,  by the amalgamation of the 3rd The King’s Own Hussars (3H) and the 7th  Queen’s Own Hussars (7H).  It was the senior  Light Cavalry Regiment  in  the  British  Army until 1993,  when on  amalgamation with The Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars,  it became The Queen’s Royal Hussars (The Queen’s Own & Royal Irish).
 
The 3rd (The King’s Own) Hussars was a cavalry regiment in the British Army, first raised in 1685. It saw service for three centuries, before being amalgamated into The Queen’s Own Hussars in 1958.The regiment had a long and distinguished record of service during the Peninsular War and took part in the celebrated charge of Le Marchant’s heavy brigade at the Battle of Salamanca.
 
The 7th Queen’s Own Hussars was a cavalry regiment in the British Army, first formed in 1690. It saw service for three centuries, before being amalgamated into The Queen’s Own Hussars in 1958.The regiment was transferred to the Royal Armoured Corps in 1939. The regiment survived the immediate post-war reduction in forces, but was slated for reduction in the 1957 Defence White Paper, and was amalgamated with the 3rd The King’s Own Hussars, to form the The Queen’s Own Hussars the following year.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Down arrow Up arrow 54 people in our WW2 records
Filter by Surname:
Down arrow Up arrow 54 people in our Post WW2 records
Filter by Surname:
1

Active From: 1958 - Present

One moment...