Unit History: Queen's Gurka Signals
Queen’s Gurkha Signals. Soldiers of the Queen’s Gurkha Signals serve in the UK, Brunei, Nepal, in the 2 Gurkha infantry battalions and also at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, Brecon, ITC Catterick and 18 Signal Regiment (SF).
Queen’s Gurkha Signals which includes -
250 Gurkha Signal Squadron
246 Gurkha Signal Squadron
248 Gurkha Signal Squadron
Added on 22/11/2010
Although there were Gurkha signallers in the Sappers & Miners Corps of the Indian Army from 1911 they were phased out in 1928. They were reformed in 1948 to support Gurkha infantry during the Malayan Emergency. In 1949 the unit was named as 48 Bde Signal Squadron and in 1955 became known as Gurkha Signals. In 1977 as part of the Queen's Silver Jubilee the title "Queen's Gurkha Signals" was granted. Up until the handover of Hong Kong in 1997, QGS HQ was at Sek Kong,with 248 Gurkha Signal Squadron (also known at one stage as The Hong Kong Gurkha Signal Squadron) based at Gun Club Hill Barracks in Kowloon and a Signal Troop in Brunei.
Search for a name in our archive