Following discription is about fourth ship with the name Maine.
It was originally built in 1925 as the ’Leonardo da Vinci’ by Ansaldo Soc Anon. In 1941 she was captured at Massawa and subsequently converted into a Hospital Ship for the army, named ’Empire Clyde’. At the end of the war she was transferred to the Admiralty. Entering the RFA in 1948 she was renamed Maine. One of her first tasks was to repatriate Australians from Pacific Theatre. She was based at Hong Kong. Maine served in the Korean War where she evacuated more than 13,000 casualties. Scrapped in 1954.