On a mobile device? Try our mobile site
Unit History: Lambert Brothers
Lambert Brothers Ltd have been in business since 1841. They moved into ship owning in 1878 with the purchase of a wooden schooner. Shortly after they began acquiring small steamers to ship coal to London. In 1896 four collier fleets were amalgamated under Cory’s flag, including Lamberts. By 1900, Lambert Brothers had extended its activities to deep sea tramping and purchased the Commercial Steamship Co. Ltd in 1905.
By the end of the war, the company had dropped out of ship owning and management. It re-entered this business in 1923, when it acquired a substantial share in the Temple Steamship Co. Ltd. Lambert Brothers took over as managers in 1926 when the company became a wholly owned subsidiary. Lamberts became a subsidiary of the Hill Samuel Group in 1968 and purchased their first bulk carrier the following year to be managed by Scottish Ship Management. Their four bulkers had been sold by the late 1970s. They remain in business as ship brokers.
The house flag of Lambert Brothers Ltd, London. A white rectangular flag with a red triangle in the centre. The flag is made of a wool and synthetic fibre bunting. It has a cotton hoist and is machine sewn. A rope and toggle is attached.
Active From: 1841 - Present