Houlder Brothers & Co. was formed in 1856 in London and operated with chartered tonnage until 1861 when they aquired the GOLDEN HORN. Originally sailings were made to the USA and later to New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Islands. In 1881 the company entered the River Plate passenger and cargo trade which was eventually to become their mainstay route.
The house flag of Houlder Brothers and Co. Ltd, London. A red rectangular flag with a white Maltese cross in the centre. The flag is made of a wool and synthetic fibre bunting. It has a cotton hoist and is machine sewn. A rope and toggle is attached.