The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own Yorkshire Regiment) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, part of the King’s Division.
The regiment was formed in 1688 from independent companies of infantry in Devon. Until 1751 it was known by the names of its various colonels, when it became the 19th Regiment of Foot. In 1782 all regiments of foot without a special designation were given county title "to cultivate a connection with the County which might at all times be useful towards recruiting". The regiment became the 19th (1st North Riding of Yorkshire) Regiment of Foot, and its main recruiting efforts continued in this area until 2006, particularly in Middlesbrough, Redcar, Northallerton and Scarborough.