Unit History: Chas Connell and Co
INDRA (1) was built in 1888 by T. Royden & Sons at Liverpool with a tonnage of 3582grt, a length of 361ft 10in, a beam of 44ft and a service speed of 10 knots. She was delivered to Thomas Royden with McVicar, Marshall & Co. of Liverpool as managers. She was the ship that provided ’Indra Line’ as a fleet identity and traded to India. In 1891 she was chartered by Tyser & Co. for their service to India with a general cargo outward and wool on the return, a contract which started a close relationship between the two companies. T.B. Royden & Sons became the managers in 1894. She was sold to W. Thompson & Sons of Dundee in 1896 and in compliance with that company’s policy of having their ship’s names ending in ’ona’, was renamed Kildona. She was operated by S.S. Kildona & Co., acquired by Cunard in 1910, on their Clyde to Canada service. In December 1907 she was wrecked.
INDRANI (1) was built in 1888 by T. Royden & Sons at Liverpool with a tonnage of 3640grt, a length of 361ft 10in, a beam of 44ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Indra she was delivered to Thomas Royden in 1888. She was sold to Donaldson Bros. in 1892 for ?38,250, without a change of name, and converted to carry 314 head of live cattle on the main deck. On 27th June 1915 during a voyage from the Clyde to Montreal she was captured and then torpedoed by U-24 off Tusker Light.