Unit History: Watts Naval Training School
The Watts Naval Training School, was opened in 1903, was a branch of Dr. Barnardo’s Homes And was controlled by the Director and the Council of the Association, having an independent Board of Managers responsible for the educational work. The building its self dated from 1871, and had been a County school. They provided a two year course of general education, followed at the age of 14 by a two year course of Naval Training. There was accommodation for 300 boys, the majority of whom, on leaving, went to H.M.S. Ganges, a boys Naval Training Establishment at Shotley Suffolk. Only a few boys went into the Merchant Navy. Admission was open to orphan and destitute boys who were between 11 and 14 years of age.