Unit History: HMT Empire Antelope
Built as American Ophis for US Shipping Board, Tacoma; 1928 renamed Bangu for the same owner; 1937 transferred to US Maritime Commission, New York and was laid up as part of the reserve fleet.
1941 taken over by Britain and renamed Empire Antelope by Ministry of War Transport (MoWT).
At 08.03 hours on 2 Nov, 1942, U-402 attacked the convoy SC-107 about 500 miles east of Belle Isle and sank two ships, the Empire Leopard and Empire Antelope.
The master, 41 crew members and eight gunners from the Empire Antelope (Master William John Slade) were picked up by the British rescue ship Stockport (Master Thomas Ernest Fea OBE) and landed at Reykjavik on 8 November.
Search for a name in our archive