Queen Victoria Seamens Rest QVSR started life as the Seamen’s Mission of the Methodist Church in 1843.
Known originally as the Wesleyan Seamen’s Mission, the aim was to minister to the spiritual needs and promote the social and morale welfare of seafarers and their families in the vicinity of the Port of London.
The Queen Victoria Seaman’s Rest was formally opened by HRH Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, on 13 th November 1902 , and she readily consented to become the Patron of the Mission.
The Seamen’s Rest provided accommodation and educational and recreational facilities for seamen staying in London. Its resident clergy also visited ships berthed in the port.
The institution is still active, using the original building on Jeremiah Street and a post-war building around the corner on the East India Dock Road.