Unit History: Shaw Savill Line
Shaw, Savill & Albion Line (later shortened to Shaw Savill Line in publicity) was comprised of three constituent companies:-
1: Shaw, Savill & Co, London formed in 1858
2: Albion Line, Glasgow in 1856
3: John Leslie & Partners, Aberdeen.
The combined Shaw, Savill & Albion Line was created in 1882, but Shaw, Savill & Co retained five sailing ships, and John Leslie & Partners ran their ships with this fleet. Shaw, Savill & Albion Line also ran a joint service to New Zealand with White Star Line from 1884 to 1933, when the collapse of the White Star Line enabled the service to be taken over completely by Shaw Savill. Shaw Savill continued to use White Star-style names with the suffix "-ic". In 1928, the Commonwealth Line taken over and renamed Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line, followed by the takeover of the Aberdeen Line in 1933. Also in 1933, control of Shaw Savill was acquired by Furness, Withy & Co.