Unit History: Gurkha Signal Regiment
The badge was granted on 23 September 1954, which date is now the official Regimental Birthday. The regimental title became ’Gurkha Signals’ in 1955 and on 21 April 1977, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II approved the Title ’Queen’s Gurkha Signals’. On 16 May 1983 Queen’s Gurkha Signals restructured to a Regimental organisation.
On 1st September 1959 the titles of Gurkha Signals units were re-designated. Among these was 250 (Gurkha) Signal Squadron (Training), which replaced the Gurkha Signal Training Squadron (GSTS). The role of this unit was no different from its predecessor but it was relocated. 250 (Gurkha) Signal Squadron moved south from the Depot, Brigade of Gurkhas, at Sungei Patani to Sikmat Camp in Seremban with the renamed 17 (Gurkha) Signal Regiment. The Squadron’s first Officer Commanding was the late Major E C Collins. Two years later in 1961, 17 (Gurkha) Signal Regiment underwent a further reorganisation and became Headquarters Gurkha Signals and the Gurkha Signal Regiment. It ceased to be a Divisional Signal Regiment and took on the responsibility of fixed communications sites across Malaya. As part of this restructuring, 250 (Gurkha) Signal Squadron was renamed 2 (Training) Squadron and incorporated into the Gurkha Signal Regiment.
The reformation of 250 Gurkha Signal Squadron came about 30 years later and replaced 3 Squadron of 30 Signal Regiment. The formation parade took place on 1 June 1990 at Blandford, where Major General R F L Cook, Signal Officer in Chief (Army) took the salute.
The Squadron moved to Bramcote in 1994 with 30 Signal Regiment and has since been Operational Squadron as part of the Regiment. Currently it is established with 208 officers and soldiers and has several roles. Primarily it provides strategic satellite communication and terrestrial trunk systems for local distribution of vital circuits in theatre. World-wide deployments have varied from NATO and UK military operations to United Nation Deployments. "Military Users" in support of National Interests and in addition, deploy manpower and equipment world-wide as part of 30th Signal Regiment. 30th Signal Regiment has permanent commitment to the Joint Force Headquarters and SPEARHEAD, and this force is made up of a number of units that are on standby to react to any crisis anywhere in the world. Some teams are kept on standby enabling them to deploy at a few hours notice to move as was the case in 1994 to Kuwait and in 1997 to Zaire. Soldiers from 250 Gurkha Signal Squadron have deployed on most Regimental operations, often within hours notice to move. They use Satellite, Tactical HF, VHF and state of the art CORMORANT equipment and CIS Systems to provide communications to link headquarters within theatre and back to the UK.