Raglan Barracks was constructed of yellow bricks and had flat roofs and lengthy verandas. The style gave rise to the story that the plans had been destined for a tropical location and came to Devonport by mistake. It was lit by over 1,000 gas jets. The married quarters were on part of the old George Square. It was built to accommodate two entire regiments of the line, or 2,000 men and 80 officers.
No formal opening ceremony took place but on December 24th 1858 the 96th Regiment of Foot marched through the gate in full dress under Lt-Colonel E W Scovell.
The Garrison Church was detached, situated as it was on the south side of Cumberland Road. It could seat over 1,000 men for Divine Service on Sundays. Just to the rear of the Church was the gymnasium and a building now known as the Picquet Barracks. It is thought to have derived its name from the card game, "Piquet", which was probably played in this building by the officers of the Garrison
In 1937 the War Department decided that Raglan Barracks was out-of-date and should be demolished. Work on South Raglan had just started when war broke out in 1939.
Raglan Barracks has been demolished apart from the gateway, which has been preserved. Housing now covers the site. The Picquet Barracks is being currently used by Plymouth City Council.
When the National Health Service took over the running of hospitals in 1948, the War Department handed the Military Families’ Hospital over to the Ministry of Health. Between 1952 1nd 1956 it was used as a tuberculosis unit and then in 1957 was re-opened as the Devonport Maternity Home.