RAF Grantham opened in November 1916. In 1944 The airfield was renamed RAF Spitalgate.
Flying continued between the wars and at the outbreak of the Second World War RAF Grantham was home to No: 12 Flying Training School and continued as a trainingbase throughout the war. A tradition which continnued until 1975 when the airfield closed. Today the site is home to the Royal Logistics Corps Territorial Army Centre, Grantham