Center Col: Unset
Col Margin: Unset
Col Status: Unset
Mouse over button or menu: Unset
Home Btn Pos X (Left), Y (bottom): Unset
Mouse X, Y: Unset

Recommend this page to a friend:

On a mobile device? Try our mobile site

Unit History: RAF Pitreavie

RAF Pitreavie
RAF Pitreavie was sited within Pitreavie Castle, near Dunfermline, Fife. An ancient castle dating back to the 17th century, it was used as a wartime bunker, and served in both World War II and the Cold War.
It was the principal maritime control centre in Scotland, and could have controlled all NATO forces operating between the North Sea and the North Pole. Its facilities meant it was able to function as a surveillance centre, monitoring the activities of Soviet ships and submarines in the North Sea.
The military section was closed in 1996, when it was cleared prior to the entrance being demolished and sealed using explosives. Its activities were transferred to HMNB Clyde, Faslane

Active From: 1937 - 1996

One moment...