Unit History: Cheshire Yeomanry
The Cheshire Yeomanry can trace its history back to 1797 when Sir John Fleming Leicester of Tabley raised a county regiment of light cavalry in response to the growing fears of invasion from Napoleonic France. In 1803 the Prince of Wales (later King George IV) gave his permission for the Regiment to wear his triple feather crest, a badge that Cheshire Yeoman still wear today. The Regiment first saw action of an unexpected nature, supporting the civil powers in the textile riots of the early 1800s. The first battle honour was, however, won in South Africa in 1900-02, when the Regiment provided two companies of Imperial Yeomanry of eighteen months service. As one of the last regiments of the British Army to fight on horseback, the Cheshire yeomanry found it particularly painful to lose its horses and to re-role as a Signals Regiment, but the yeoman applied themselves to their new role and service followed in the Middle East, England and North West Europe until the spring of 1946.On May Day 1947, the Cheshire Yeomanry reformed as an armoured regiment, equipped with Cromwell and Comet tanks. It continued as such until 1958, when it re-equipped with Daimler armoured cars. The defence re-organisation of 1967 led to the disbanding of the Regiment except for a small cadre, but happily in 1971 the Queens Own Yeomanry (QOY) was formed from 4 old yeomanry regiments, including the Cheshire Yeomanry. This lasted until 1999 when the Regiment, as part of the Strategic Defence Review, was amalgamated into The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry.