Unit History: RAF Middleton St George
RAF Middleton St. George was a Royal Air Force (RAF) Bomber Command station during World War II. It was located in County Durham, five miles east of Darlington, England.
The aerodrome opened as a Bomber Command station in 1941. In 1943 it was allocated to No. 6 Group, Royal Canadian Air Force. A sub-station was located at Croft. Squadrons based here include: 76 Squadron, which flew Halifaxes, 78 Squadron, which flew Whitleys, 419 Squadron RCAF, which flew Wellingtons, Halifaxes, and Lancasters, 420 Squadron RCAF, which flew Wellingtons, and 428 Squadron RCAF, which flew Wellingtons, Halifaxes, and Lancasters.
After the war, the aerodrome served various squadrons and units including No. 13 Operational Training Unit (OTU), No. 2 Air Navigation School, No. 4 Flight Training School, and squadrons that used Meteors, Hunters, Javelins and Lightnings.
The RAF left the station in 1964 but the aerodrome was reopened in 1966 as a civil airport. It is now Durham Tees Valley Airport.
Added on 25/10/2010
13 OTU Was a Mosquito training unit with basic training at Croft Spa sub base. Pupils came to Mosquitos from low powered twins like Oxfords or Ansons and the "prang rate was high. One afternoon in March 46 we lost two to take-off swings in one day.