Unit History: RAF Faldingworth
RAF Faldingworth was an airfield used by RAF Bomber Command during and after World War II. It was located close to the village of Faldingworth in Lincolnshire. It was used during the war by number 300 (Polish) Squadron and a memorial is now in place to them at the end of the main runway.
Faldingworth entered service life as Toft Grange decoy airfield and later as a satellite airfield of RAF Lindholme. Late in 1943 it became a satellite of RAF Ludford Magna.
After the war the base was used for storage of weapons. becoming a nuclear weapons store in 1957. It closed in 1972 and was later used by BMARC as a weapons test site.
Current Ordnance Survey maps show the remains of a typical wartime bomber airfield, with the former storage site overlaying the south-western part of the airfield, about 2km east of Spridlington. There is a cluster of RAF-built housing north-east of the airfield area, and a group of RAF buildings used as an industrial estate.
Search for a name in our archive