Unit History: RAF East Moor
RAF East Moor was a Royal Air Force air station operated by RAF Bomber Command during the Second World War. The station was located near Helmsley, North Yorkshire, UK and was a sub-station of RAF Linton-on-Ouse.
East Moor was originally a 4 Group facility and first hosted 158 Squadron, which moved to RAF Rufforth in October 1942. East Moor was assigned to No. 6 Group, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in June 1943. RCAF squadrons stationed here included No. 429 Squadron, 432 Squadron, and 415 Squadron.
Prior to the disbanding of the remaining Canadian squadrons at East Moor (432 and 415 Squadrons) in May 1945, No. 54 Operational Training Unit (OTU), flying Mosquitoes, and 288 Squadron, flying the Vultee Vengeance IV, moved to East Moor and stayed until June 1946.
The airfield closed to flying in June 1946. Most of the buildings were taken down and the land has reverted largely to agricultural use.