Unit History: RAF Catterick
Catterick airfield first opened in 1914 as a Royal Flying Corps aerodrome with the role of training pilots and to assist in the defence of the North East of England. It came under RAF administration in 1918 and housed Number 49 Training Depot.
In 1927 it temporarily came under the administration of the British Army, under the Army Air Co-Operation Command which would supply the army with any air support needs that would be required. This continued until 1939 when the station was handed back to the RAF.
During World War II the airfield operated a small satellite station called RAF Scorton near the village of Scorton.
After World War II, Catterick’s runway could not be extended for the jet age due to the perimeter being bounded by the Great North Road (A1) and the River Swale. Therefore, Catterick’s importance declined though it still housed training institutes for many years.
Catterick served as a RAF Regiment depot occupied by operational Squadrons and was the training base for the RAF Regiment from 1946 until 1994 when the Regiment’s training facilities moved to RAF Honington. Catterick was also the training centre for the RAF Fire Service until the 1990s.
The base was handed over to the Army in 1994 and now is named Marne Barracks and is part of the huge Catterick Garrison complex. It currently houses 5th Regiment Royal Artillery.
Search for a name in our archive