Unit History: AmphibiousTraining Unit
RAF Hamworthy was transferred from Coastal Command to Transport Command on 13th January 1944 and then in February of the same year the site was handed over to the Royal Navy. RAF Station, Hamworthy formally ceased to exist on 1st May 1944.
As a Naval establishment the site was known as HMS Turtle and was used for training personnel for the D-Day Landings. When the war ended the site was closed and was put into mothballs with only a few personnel for basic maintenance.
In 1954 the site was finally taken over by the Royal Marines and was known as the Amphibious School, Royal Marines. It was here that Royal Marine Landing Craft personnel were trained before deployment to the fleet, a role still maintained today. In 1956 the school was expanded and was re-named the Joint Service Amphibious Warfare Centre in October of that year. The site also became home to 95 Regiment, Royal Artillery which was itself subsequently re-named 95 Forward Observation Unit, Royal Artillery. They provided fire direction for Naval Ships during shore bombardment, again, a role still performed here today by 148 (Meiktila) Commando Forward Observation Battery, Royal Artillery. The next change came in 1963 when the Amphibious Warfare Centre moved to Old Sarum and become part of the new Joint Warfare Establishment and the camp was re-named the Amphibious Training Unit, Royal Marines. In 1968 the decision was taken to move Technical Training Wing (responsible for training Drivers, Armourers, Illustrators, Metalsmiths, Carpenters and the like) from Eastney to Poole. This was completed on 20th July, 1973 and on 1st July, that year the camp became Royal Marines Poole - the title it retains today. The rate of change has accelerated in recent years as a result of various government initiatives such as "Options for Change", "Front Line First" and the "Defence Training Review.