Unit History: RAF Bruggen

RAF Bruggen
The former Royal Air Force Station Bruggen, more commonly known as RAF Bruggen, (IATA: BGN, ICAO: ETUR) in Germany was a major station of the Royal Air Force until June 15, 2001. It was situated next to the village of Elmpt, approximately 43 km west of Dusseldorf near the German-Netherlands border. The base was named after the village of Bruggen, the nearest rail depot. Construction began in mid-1952 which involved the clearing of dense forest and draining of marshland. The station became active in 1953 during the rapid expansion of NATO forces in Europe.
 
This was the RAF’s last operational airfield in Germany.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
3
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait