Unit History: Boys Training Regiment
In April 1957 the Junior Leaders’ Regiment, (JLR), Royal Corps. of Signals was
formed at Rawlinson Barracks, later renamed Denbury Camp, Newton Abbot, South
Devon, England, from the 6th (Boys) Training Regiment, Royal Corps. of Signals,
who relocated to Newton Abbot in September 1955.
The history of Boy’s units providing communications to the British Army can in fact be
traced back to the late 19th Century before the Royal Corps of Signals itself was
formed in 1920.
The Royal Corps of Engineers initially provided the Army with communications with
their Telegraph Battalion based at Brompton Barracks in Chatham Kent, England.
They were called the “Tele-boys” and there were about ten of them at any one time
and paid 23 pence per week. At first they were seconded to the General Post Office
to gain valuable practical experience. They became proficient in sending and reading
Morse via telegraph lines. Telephone operator training was carried out on two
working exchanges at the School of Military Engineering also at Chatham. There was
no wireless training as wireless sets were considered unreliable and had not made
much headway. This continued until the Signals Service Royal Engineers became
the Royal Corps of Signals in 1920.
The first Royal Signals Boys unit in 1920 was called “K” Company located at
Maresfield in Sussex.
In 1925/26 it moved to Catterick Camp in Yorkshire and renamed “F” Company.
With outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 it was disbanded.
Revived again in 1949, it was renamed as the Number 6 (Boys) Training Regiment,
Royal Corps. of Signals, located at Beverley in Yorkshire.
In 1955, another move to Brayton Camp near Selby and Denbury Camp near Newton Abbott.
1957 saw the unit renamed for the last time as the Junior Leaders’ Regiment Royal
Corps. of Signals.
It was formally disbanded on the 10th August 1967, due to changes in Ministry of
Defence policies regarding the recruitment of Junior, or Boy soldiers into the Corps.
By 1946 the STC had undergone a series of redesignations and standardisation on trade Training Regiments. These did no last long and by 1948 the set up became :
* 1st Training Regiment. Loos Lines
* 2nd Training regiment. Mons and Cateau Lines
* 3rd Training Regiment. Bourlon Lines had be formed in 1947 from3 Operators Training Regiment and 1 Operators Training Regiment
* 4th Training Regiment Gaza Lines. Was renamed from 2nd Operator Training Regiment in 1946 and responsible for Operator Training.
* 5th Training Regiment. Comprised three squadrons for Driving, dispatch Riders and Driver Mechanics. It moved from Catterick to Barnard Castle a year later and to Ripon in 1950.
* 6th Training Regiment. In 1947 1st Operators Training Regiment was renamed 3rd but almost immediately be 6th Training Regiment. It became 6th (Boys) Training Regiment at Beverley, Hull in 1950.
* 7th Selection Regiment (later 7th Training Regiment)
* By 1948 7th Selection Regiment was up and running and was selecting and training the recruits.
* These designation continued until 1959 and the end of National Service although there were some minor changes in organisation.
* In 1955 the STC was redesiganted ’The Training Brigade Royal signals’. In 1956 3rd Training Regiment was moved to Lincoln.