Origins of the Squadron began in 1857 at Chatham, Kent, where 32nd Service Company Royal Sappers and Miners were raised.
In the early years of the Squadron saw service in Alderney, Bermuda and South Africa where it mainly constructed fortification works. It was in South Africa between 1883 - 1886 that the Squadron was renamed 32 Fortress Company and indeed still flies the castle on its flag.
The Squadron moved from Gibraltar to Le Harve during the First World War as 32 Base Park Company where the Officer Commanding, Major Robinson was awarded the Military Cross.
In 1922 the Squadron was temporarily disbanded reforming again in 1936 in Gibraltar. Construction and tunneling in and on the Rock continued for the next 15 years with the Unit changing from Fortress Company to Fortress Squadron in 1948.
In 1960 the unit was renamed 32 Field Squadron and in 1961, as part of 38 Engineer Regiment, it had made its home in Ripon