The Guards Machine Regiment was initially formed in 1915 when machine-gun companies were beginning to form in the Guards Division. In April 1917, the four companies merged to form the Machine Gun Guards. In 1918, it was renamed again by Royal Warrant to the 6th or Machine Gun Regiment of Foot Guards. In June, the regiment was reorganised into five battalions. The Machine Gun Guards were disbanded in 1920.