The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry was formed in 1907 so it could provide a link between field hospitals and the front lines. It was given the title ’Yeomanry’ because its members were originally all on horseback. It a registered charity affiliated to, but not part of the Territorial Army.
During the Second World War, the unit was formed into initial driver companies of the Auxiliary Territorial Service and served as a parent unit for women who undertook espoionage work for Special Operations Executive. Since the end of the war, the corps has provided communications for the Army and the City of London Police.
Members are trained in paramedical skills, map reading, navigation and self-defence techniques. They have their own ranking system.
In 1999, the unit was renamed to the Princess Royal’s Volunteer Corps. It celebrated its centenary in 2007.