Unit History: RAF Chigwell
RAF Chigwell was opened on the site in May 1938, forming part of London’s barrage ballon defences. It was given by the RAF to the local council (then Chigwell UDC, now Epping Forest DC) in 1968 which in turn leased it to the Trust and gave it Local Nature Reserve status in 1986.
A small part of the RAF Chigwell site was however used for ATC cadet training after 1960 until late 1970s. The area is now right beside the M11 motorway and is partly covered by a David Lloyd Sports Centre and partly by a small wildlife sanctuary.
Search for a name in our archive