Unit History: RMA Sandhurst
The RMA Sandhurst was formed in 1947 from a merger of the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich (which trained officers for the Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers from 1741 to 1939) and the Royal Military College at Sandhurst. Following the ending of National Service in the UK and the closing of the Mons Officer Training School in Aldershot, the RMAS became the sole establishment for male initial officer training in the British Army.
The Royal Military College opened its doors in 1802, coincidentally the same year as Saint Cyr and West Point. Amongst the current Military Academies, only Militarhogskolan Karlberg in Sweden, founded 1792 and the Dutch Military Academy are older.
The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst Collection contains and displays the history of the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, The Royal Military College and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. The collection includes the Royal Military Academy’s gentlemen cadet registers, historic archive, uniforms, paintings, photographs and other artefacts. Visits are by appointment only.
Search for a name in our archive