Unit History: COD Bicester

COD Bicester
COD Bicester - Construction of what is now the Defence Storage & Distribution Centre (DSDC) began in 1941. By September 1942, the Headquarters and first storehouse had opened and in 1943, the Depot assumed its first role as a main Support Base for future operations in Europe and an Army Mobilisation Centre. The Depot achieved its peak activity in the latter part of the war, when some 20,000 troops and members of the ATS were employed here. Since then the Depot has had a number of roles.It was in 1961 that COD Bicester was selected to perform a key role in a major reorganisation of the UK Base Ordnance Installations. The Ordnance Depots at Didcot and Branston, together with their associated ‘out-stations’ were closed and their functions concentrated at Bicester. Further reorganisation in 1980-82 led to the closure of COD Bicester.

Search for a name in our archive

Please enter a surname
1
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait