Unit History: North Irish Horse
The North Irish Horse is a yeomanry unit of the British Territorial Army raised in the northern counties of Ireland in the aftermath of the Second Boer War.
King Edward VII approved the formation of the North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry and the South of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry in 1901. Recruiting for the North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry began in 1903, with four squadrons raised:
* RHQ and ‘A’ Squadron in Belfast,
* ‘B’ Squadron in Londonderry,
* ‘C’ Squadron in Enniskillen and
* ‘D’ Squadron in Dundalk.
They became a special reserve regiment in 1908 and the name changed to the North Irish Horse following the formation of the Territorial Force.
Search for a name in our archive