Unit History: RAFASUPU
The Royal Air Force Armament Support Unit (RAFASUPU) is an independent Unit. It is located at the western end of the airfield, some three miles from the main technical and domestic site at RAF Wittering. The RAFASUPU was originally formed at Wittering in August 1953. It was responsible for weapons training of all air and ground crew destined to operate the ‘V’ Force in Bomber Command and later Strike Command. The Unit badge has the motto “E Parvis Maxima” that can be translated as ‘From little things to big things’. Today the Unit has a wide range of armament specialist engineering, supply and training responsibilities for the whole of the Royal Air Force. It is organised into three functional Squadrons: Engineering and Supply Squadron, 5131(Bomb Disposal) Squadron and 9
It undertakes a variety of engineering third line servicing tasks for units at home and overseas and acts as an equipment depot complete with its own supply and transport facilities. The Unit still includes a section which trains RAF air and ground crews in weapons-related duties. It is also the centre of the RAF Explosives Ordnance Disposal activities and houses the EOD Operations flight, which has a worldwide bomb disposal commitment. An Airfield EOD School and an Airfield EOD development team are also located at MOD North Luffenham. The majority of RAFASUPU personnel spend many days away from the Unit during the course of the year. A tour at RAFASUPU will almost certainly be different, but it should also be fulfilling, demanding and rewarding. It is a small Unit so it is difficult for individuals to hide their talents and abilities away and it is easy to become involved and consequently enjoy life at RAFASUPU.
Search for a name in our archive