Until the mid-eighteenth century, the Royal Navy had no dedicated hospitals. The Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse, was built during the Seven Years War on a 24 acre site on Stonehouse Creek. Intended to be primarily accessible by water, building started in 1758 and was completed in 1762.
At Stonehouse, the quadrangle was surrounded by detached ward blocks planned to prevent the spread of infection around the hospital.
The Military Hospital (now Devonport School for Boys) was built on the opposite side of Stonehouse Creek in 1791.