Instituted in 1908 the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal was a medal of the United Kingdom awarded to other ranks for long service in the Territorial Force. This award superseded the Volunteer Long Service Medal when the Territorial Force was formed in 1908 following the enactment of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907, which was a huge re-organisation of the old Volunteer Army and the remaining units of militia and Yeomanry. The Territorial Force was formed on 1st April 1908. The Militia were transferred to the Special Reserve rather than becoming part of the Territorial Force.
The silver oval medal was awarded to ‘efficient’ NCO’s and Other Ranks of the Territorial Force who completed twelve years’ service and twelve annual trainings.
The medal was renamed as the “Territorial Efficiency Medal” in 1920. Note that this medal is separate from the Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge.
The equivalent award for commissioned officers was the Territorial Decoration.
Materials: The majority of the British medals and clasps are made of solid silver, though some were issue in bronze versions, mainly to Indian non-combatants. The majority of the British campaign awards are circular, usually 36mm in diameter.
Ribbons: Medals are worn suspended from their own specific ribbons. These were first made of silk but cotton was increasingly used as the nineteenth century developed. Their own colours often have a symbolic significance: the equal stripes of the ‘1939 to 1945 Star,’ for example, are dark blue to represent the service of the Royal and Merchant Navies, red, to represent that of the Armies and light blue to represent that of Air Forces.
Ribbon width can vary slightly though it is generally 32mm wide.
Ribbon – Two ribbons are used with the medal. In the United Kingdom, an alternative ribbon is used when the medal is awarded to members of the Honourable Artillery Company.
The regular ribbon is plain dark green with a central yellow stripe. Members of the Honourable Artillery Company wore a half blue, half scarlet ribbon, with yellow edges
Suspender - Ring
Type – Military long service medal
Eligibility – Territorial Force – Ranks
Awarded for – Granted for a minimum of 12 years’ service in the Territorial Force with war service counting double. It was superseded in 1921 by the Territorial Efficiency Medal when the service was renamed.
Established – 1908
Naming – The name of the recipient was impressed on the rim of the medal.
Bars / Clasps – Clasps could initially be awarded to holders of the medal upon completion of further periods of 12 years’ service.
Description – Silver oval medal, height 38mm; max. width 31mm and swivelling ring suspension with claw. The medal obverse shows the monarch’s effigy (Edward VII or George V). The reverse bears the inscription ‘TERRITORIAL FORCE EFFICIENCY MEDAL’ on four lines and has a raised rim as did the second issue with the head of George V. Later, in about 1920, a fixed ring was used. The third issue, also of George V with a fixed ring, had a shorter legend, ‘TERRITRIAL EFFICIENCY MEDAL’. This change took place after the Territorial Force became the Territorial Army, in 1921.
Some of the material on this page was also partially derived from
Which are released under the terms of