Instituted by King Edward VII in August 1902 the Naval Good Shooting Medal is a Naval gunnery medal awarded for outstanding Naval gunnery and to the gunner on each type of ship's gun in the fleet who achieved first place in the gunnery competitions held during the Annual Fleet Competitions. The medal was first awarded in 1903 and medals were awarded annually, until the competition was discontinued upon the outbreak of World War One in 1914.
Although awarding of the Naval Good Shooting Medal ceased in 1914, it was only officially discontinued in 1966. In that year, it was replaced by the Queen's Medal for Champion Shots of the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, instituted by Queen Elizabeth II for award to the winner of an annual Naval small-arms competition, organised under service rifle championship conditions.
Materials: The majority of the British medals and clasps are made of solid silver, though some were issue in bronze versions, mainly to Indian non-combatants. The majority of the British campaign awards are circular, usually 36mm in diameter.
Ribbons: Medals are worn suspended from their own specific ribbons. These were first made of silk but cotton was increasingly used as the nineteenth century developed. Their own colours often have a symbolic significance: the equal stripes of the ‘1939 to 1945 Star,’ for example, are dark blue to represent the service of the Royal and Merchant Navies, red, to represent that of the Armies and light blue to represent that of Air Forces.
Ribbon width can vary slightly though it is generally 32mm wide.
Ribbon – Dark blue with a red centre, with white stripes between
Suspender - Straight
Type – Naval gunnery medal
Eligibility – All ranks
Awarded for – Naval gunnery champions
Established – 1903
Designer – Miss Margaret Winser, while the die was engraved by George de Saulles
Naming – Recipient’s name, number, rank and ship and calibre of gun are impressed round the rim.
Total Awarded – 947 medals and 62 bars were awarded.
Clasps/ Bars – Holders of the medal who qualified for a subsequent award, were awarded a clasp to be worn on the ribbon of the original medal.
Description – silver medal, 36mm diameter. The obverse bears the effigy of the reigning monarch, in the uniform of the Admiral of the Fleet. Two versions of obverse were awarded. The medal reverse shows a naked and cloaked figure of Neptune holding five thunderbolts in each hand. The background can be seen the bows of a trireme and the heads of three horses, with a trident in the field. The motto in Latin appears around the circumference ‘VICTORIA CURAM AMAT’ (Victory loves care).
Some of the material on this page was also partially derived from
Which are released under the terms of