Established by King Edward VII by Army Order No. 211 of December 1904 the Militia Long Service & Good Conduct Medal was a long service medal awarded by the United Kingdom.
The Militia Long Service award was given to NCOs and members of the old country Militia Force who were serving on or after 9th November 1904 of "irreproachable character and conduct" who had amassed 18 years' service (not necessarily continuous) and attended at least 15 annual camps.
The medal was short-lived and it was superseded by the Efficiency Medal with the Militia bar in 1930.
Materials: The majority of the British medals and clasps are made of solid silver, though some were issue in bronze versions, mainly to Indian non-combatants. The majority of the British campaign awards are circular, usually 36mm in diameter.
Ribbons: Medals are worn suspended from their own specific ribbons. These were first made of silk but cotton was increasingly used as the nineteenth century developed. Their own colours often have a symbolic significance: the equal stripes of the ‘1939 to 1945 Star,’ for example, are dark blue to represent the service of the Royal and Merchant Navies, red, to represent that of the Armies and light blue to represent that of Air Forces.
Ribbon width can vary slightly though it is generally 32mm wide.
Ribbon – Light blue
Suspender - Ring
Type – Long service and good conduct medal
Eligibility – Efficient and irreproachable service in the Militia.
Awarded for – Awarded for 18 years’ service and attending 15 annual camps.
Established – 1904
Naming – Recipient's service numbers, rank, name, and unit are impressed on the edge of the medal
Total Awarded – 1,587 awarded between 1905 and 1930.
Description – Silver oval medal, height 38mm, max width 31mm. The medal obverse bears the effigy of the monarch. The reverse bears the words ‘MILITIA FOR LONG SERVICE AND GOOD CONDUCT’.
Some of the material on this page was also partially derived from
Which are released under the terms of