Established by Queen Victoria's Royal Warrant on 18th May 1899 the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers' Decoration was awarded for recognition of long and meritorious service as a part-time commissioned officer in any of the organized military forces of the British Colonies, Dependencies and Protectorates. It superseded the Volunteer Officers' Decoration for India and the Colonies in all these territories, but not in the Indian Empire.
Award to officers of auxiliary forces everywhere except India for 20 years’ commissioned service. Service in the ranks counting half and service in West Africa counting as double.
In 1930, the decoration, along with the Volunteer Officers' Decoration and the Territorial Decoration, were superseded by the Efficiency Decoration in an effort to standardise recognition across the British Empire.
Materials: The majority of the British medals and clasps are made of solid silver, though some were issue in bronze versions, mainly to Indian non-combatants. The majority of the British campaign awards are circular, usually 36mm in diameter.
Ribbons: Medals are worn suspended from their own specific ribbons. These were first made of silk but cotton was increasingly used as the nineteenth century developed. Their own colours often have a symbolic significance: the equal stripes of the ‘1939 to 1945 Star,’ for example, are dark blue to represent the service of the Royal and Merchant Navies, red, to represent that of the Armies and light blue to represent that of Air Forces.
Ribbon width can vary slightly though it is generally 32mm wide.
Ribbon – Dark Green
Suspender - Straight
Type – Military long service decoration
Eligibility – Officers of part-time Colonial Forces
Awarded for – Twenty years meritorious service
Established – 1899
Post nominals - Use of the post-nominal letters VD by recipients of this decoration was approved by Royal Warrant on 9 May 1925
Naming – The recipient's name was usually engraved at either the top on the back of the crown or around the circumference of the decoration reverse.
Description – Silver and silver-gilt skeletal medal height 66mm, width max 35mm. The obverse is inscribed "COLONIAL AUXILIARY FORCES" and with the Royal Cypher of the reigning monarch in skeletal form and in silver-gilt in the centre. The oval is surmounted by a silver-gilt Imperial Crown. The reverse is plain. The recipient's name was usually engraved at either the top on the back of the crown or around the circumference of the decoration
Some of the material on this page was also partially derived from
Which are released under the terms of