World War One Memoirs & Letters of Private W J Fletcher 138933 Army Service Corps 33rd Division

World War 1 Memoirs found out, for we had been examined before we were taken at all. However for some hours several hundreds o f us at a time stood in the draughty corridors with nothing on till we slowly came to a winding staircase leading to a room with several doctors at desks. We went out the far side and back round to the room where we had left our clothes. One afternoon we had to dump our civilian clothes and write labels for them to be sent home. It was a job to find our sizes in the army rig out. Several old soldiers were in the large room where this issue took place and they made a lot (of money) out of us, for unless we gave these fellows a drink we had to put up with just whatever size clothes came out over the Quarter Masters Counter at the end of the room. In our room at the empty house that night it was a sight to see fellows altering their tilings and sewing, for we had each a "Housewife’7 in our kit with needles and thread etc. I remember the puttees were one of our biggest trials to get them folded right to get onto our legs next morning. One thing I missed in the issue and at first was a bit put out, was a rifle. These seemed short so I did not get one whilst here. I found later when we had so many moves etc. that it made my load lighter by that amount, also only those men with rifles were put on guard each night. We soon realized what a blessing in disguise this shortage o f guns meant to a lot o f us. As a matter o f fact I did not get my gun till settled at Reading later, and then it was an old type Long Enfield of Boer War vintage with the date on the stock 1898. If I missed rifle drill and guards I had several saluting parades in which some of our mates stood at points on the big yard and the rest o f us marched round and round them saluting as tho’ they were officers as we came by them. After we were rigged up as proper soldiers we were taken on a few route marches and thus I knew a lot about the district of Lewisham etc. These marches were very cheery affairs indeed for we all sang or whistled the war tunes. One amusing saluting incident I must record, I had joined at Bristol with a farmer’s son from Hazlemere and we were more or less stuck to each other for some months, after getting our khaki we were able to obtain passes for evenings. We had one from 4pm and set out to visit his brother, a policeman at Wimbledon. We went by bus so far and then walked over the Thames to get to Waterloo, half way over the bridge we saw a military looking man coming towards us. Visions of “pay stopped” if nothing worse came to us as we got ready to meet, we did a perfect salute but had no reply save a grin. Later we saw more o f these men and found that they were Volunteers with GR on armlets. We were very careful afterwards and learned to be engrossed in some shop window etc. when anything doubtful was in view. We had a very nice time at Wimbledon and got back at 11pm I heard from home with an address of our Minister’s son who had a church in Bromley. I went there for a few visits and had some fine hot baths. They made me feel very much at home. I regretted that in a few days we were gone from Grove Park. I was again tested for driving. 3
Add Names


We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law. Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items. Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge, following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.

Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait