The Prisoner of War No 12 Vol 1 April 1943

4 The Prisoner of War April ,1943 OFFICIAL REPORTS FROM /.N every case where the conditions call for remedy, the Protecting Power makes representations to the German or Italian authorities. Where there is any doubt whether the Protecting Power has acted, it is at once requested to do so When it is reported that food or clothing is required, the necessary action is taken through the International Red Cross Committee. Germany ATS LAG IV A Reserve Lazaret Elstcrhorst. —26 British and 15 Indian patients were be­ing treated here a t the time of the visit. Medical treatment is reported to be very good, but the new German doctor is described as a strict disciplinarian the atmosphere a t the hospital is not avery happy one in consequence. It is hoped •that he maybe moved to another camp. The food is said to have improved slightly of late. Parcels are issued weekly, but ismail rather slow. (Visited October.)S T A LAG 319, CH OLM The cam pis believed to lie on the out­ skirts of the town of Cholm ,in Poland, and was formerly used as a transit camp for Russian prisoners of war. 150 British and Palestinian prisoners of war are quartered in one area of the camp. They live in huts built of planks and covered with straw and earth, and lit b y petrol-burning storm lanterns. These huts, though seeming primitive, are re­ported to be warmer and more suitable .for the climate than Army huts. The lloor consists of planks over a layer of gravel, below the level of the outer floor. Iron stoves provide warmth. The men have two hot showers„ m onthly. Washing and toilet facilities are primitive but adequate. Food is described as satisfactory with the aid of Red Cross parcels, which now arrive regularly. The clothing situation is ade­quate, though boots and shoes arc stored away and the men wear clogs in camp. A British doctor is in charge of the pri­soners’ health, and they are allowed to visit a dentist in the town, where they are also allowed to buy articles they need. There is no canteen. Games are played in one of the huts there seems to be ample room for recreation. (Visited January.) O FLAG I /AX Z ,ROT TEN BURG/ F U L D A A large stone building (formerly a b o ys’ school) is now used as this offi­cers' camp. There are 423 officers and 128 orderlies, including a number of Indian officers. The cam pis reported to be overcrowded. Heating is most un­satisfactory. A substantial cut has been made in the coal ration, and as many of the prisoners of war "dare e finitely u n fit” and unable to take much exer­cise, this cut aiTects them considerably. I twas suggested that all the liv in grooms be on one floor to assist in heat­ing arrangements. Three British doctors work in the infirmary, and a British dentist gives what treatment he can, but needs more instruments. There is a large gymnasium where indoor games are played. German cinema shows are given in camp. (Visited Novet)iber.) O FLAG IX A/H ,SPAN GEN BURG Upper Camp.— There have been no great changes since the previous visit. Lighting is still insufficient in some of the rooms. It is furnished by the Span- genb'urg village power station, which is not very large. There was a complaint that rations had been cut, owing to the plentiful supply of Red Cross parcels, though the Camp- Leader admitted that the food was sufficient. Cooking stoves Stalag X X A This camp is com­posed of five forts. All were visited last October. (Left) A scene on- Sports Day. need repairing. Request for permission to use the walk outside the moat outwith­ parole was once more brought for­ward but without success. Lower Camp.— There have been very few changes in this camp. Anew lloor is being inlaid the dining hall this should abe great improvement. Each officer is allowed togo to the local foot­ball ground once a week. The morale in both these cam psis .extremely high. {Visited November.)S T A LAG X DIX AND WORK CAMP 11 P O SEN Four forts form the base camp of Stalag X DIX .These old forts have thick brick walls, the window shave been enlarged, and rooms painted, and are reported to be surprisingly comfortable. Fort I holds over 800 men. The re­creation room is too small, abut large football field is available for the prisoners of war. Fort II (previously known as Fort VIII) has been much improved. Room shave been w hitew ashed, the courtyard has been cleared, and a small recreation room provided. Space for outdoor exer­cise is somewhat cramped. There are about 500 prisoners of war quartered here. Fort III is a small building, and holds only 180 men. Sleeping quarters are not good, though electric light has now been installed it is hoped that other improve­ments will be made. Fort IV consists of wood barracks, housin g'n early 600 men. Shower instal­lations, c^nd the water supply, are still insufficient, otherwise the accommoda­tion is in good order. The men have been able to make quite large vegetable allotments during the summer, which enable them to supplement their ordin­ary menus. There is a well-equipped infirmary in each camp. The arrival of Red Cross parcels and rriail appears to be normal. Work Camp II was divided into three sub-sections for the summer, but will be assembled during October into one large camp and housed in military barracks. The summer camps were reported to be good. A t Camp 1124 men lived in an X V IIIth century mansion containing about 20 rooms, which were satisfac­tory though somewhat overcrowded. Camp 2 contained 114 British, who were accommodated in a brick building, and Camp 3 is a small chalet which holds 63 prisoners of war. (Visited November.)S T A LAG V IIA AND WORK CAMPS M oosberg.— All non-working .C.ON .shave been transferred from Stalag V IIA to Oflag IIIC ,so that only 216 prisoners of war are left a t the main camp. There have been 110 changes in the camp since
Add Names

Disclaimer

We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law. Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items. Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge, following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.

The document titled The Prisoner of War No 12 Vol 1 April 1943 is beneath this layer.

To view this document now, please sign up as a full access member.

Free Account Registration

Please enter your first name
Please enter your surname
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter your password
By creating an account you agree to us emailing you with newsletters and discounts, which you can switch off in your account at any time

Already a member? Log in now
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait
;