BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY CEMETERY INDEX No. Fr. 340. BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. CEMETERY INDEX No. Fr. 341. B USIGNY is a small town and commune in the Department of the Nord, six miles South-West of Le Cateau with a railway station on the mainline from Berlin and Maubeuge to St. Quentin and Paris. The town was captured by the 30th American Division and British cavalry on the 9th October 1918 in the Battle of Cambrai and in the course of the next two months the 48th 37th and 12th Casualty Clearing Stations came successively to Busigny. The great majority of the men whose names are contained in these Registers died in one of the three hospitals. BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY is at the North end of the town, on the South-West side of the road to Bertry. In the South-East quarter of it are buried 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom and eight from Australia all artillerymen who fell in October 1918. One American grave has been removed. BUSIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION is on the North-West side of the Communal Cemetery. It was begun in October 1918 and used until February 1919 and after the Armistice it was enlarged by the concentration into Plots II—VII of 408 graves from a wide area between Cambrai and Guise. It now contains the graves of 674 soldiers (and airmen) from the United Kingdom, 24 from Australia nine from Canada and six from South Africa. Sixty-three of these graves are those of unidentified soldiers. Seventy American graves from Plot I two American and two French graves from Plot VIII and 20 graves of German prisoners have been removed to other cemeteries. 5
We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law.
Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items.
Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge,
following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain
we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.