The Great War, I was there - Part 48

Behind our ship, and before, the inter­mittent glare of ships* signals was the only sign that we were one of afar- stretching procession. "The cheerless daybreak broadened and revealed the armada scattered over leagues of sea. The Fleet had comedown fio:n Rosyfch in one long line, and now, the open sea reached, the long manoeuvring began which was to end by eight o’clock in the symmetrical formation of a double line of ships six miles apart. Immediately behind the sister ships of the Second Battle Squad­ron followed the Monarch. The Squad­ron was revealed to meas a series of dark grey shapes, squatly foreshortened, colourless but for the broad ensign on each mast-head. There was no life to be seen on the decks, but signal flags fluttered up and down at intervals ahead on battleship after battleship, the Orion conspicuous with Admiral Goodenough’s flag at the mast-head. We were forging slowly ahead. The navigating officer at my side said :It’s odd to be going at this speed after four years of war. Makes me feel it’s peace at last more than any­ thing—we’re soused to high speed and vigilance. And it’s queer, too, to becoming out without a swarm of escorting de­stroyers.” The day brightened, the sun rose out of a great bank of cloud, and more and more of the Fleet came into view. Three miles to the south in alight haze the second line of battleships, a broken line as yet, became visible. ‘HUMBLED BULLY OF THE SEAS’ In the above striking words Mr. Perrot summarizes the British Navy’s impression of the final scene at the surrender of the German ships. This photograph, showing the last phase of the great humiliation, was taken from the British airship N.S.8. seen in page 1897 living over the German flagship. From the foremast of the ship 011 the left flies the German Ensign, which at Sir David Beatty’s orders was hauled down at sunset, “not to be hoisted again without permission.” Imperial War Museum In among the majestic men-o’-war an inquisitive tug had nosed herself, determined to be in at the show. U BOATS THAT NEVER SUBMERGED AGAIN While the battleships of the German Fleet surrendered at Rosytli the submarines went to Harwich. In Chapter 342 Sir Rosslyn Wemyss relates that lie demanded the surrender of 160 and was told by the German envoy that there were not 160 available. However, this information proved to be incorrect, and 185 U boats eventually came into Harwich harbour to surrender between November 20,1918 and January 1919, in accordance with the terms of the Armistice. Some of them are seen below alongside the quays. Imperial War Museum From the misty distance one especially noble shape became definite. All glasses were levelled. “ T hat’s the Queen Elizabeth. Look, she’s flying three ensigns as broad as a house.” Her flags stood out stiff in the breeze, expressing, as with a gesture, the ship’s pride of place. About 9.30 precisely came the great moment— the first glimpse of the captive German Fleet. The look-out atman the
Add Names


We have sought to ensure that the content of this website complies with UK copyright law. Please note however, that we may have been unable to ascertain the rights holders of some items. Where we have digitised items, we have done so with items that to the best of our knowledge, following due investigations, are in the public domain. While the original works are in the public domain we reserve all rights to the usage of the digital works.

The document titled The Great War, I was there - Part 48 is beneath this layer.

To view this document now, please sign up as a full access member.

Free Account Registration

Please enter your first name
Please enter your surname
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter your password, it must be 8 or more characters

Already a member? Log in now
Small Medium Large Landscape Portrait